These keto pretzels were created as a happy accident. I was working on making bagels and playing around with different recipes. When my kids bit into this batch they said “Add salt and you have amazing pretzels!”.
So, keto pretzels were born…
Shaping The Pretzels
The hardest part of this recipe is shaping the pretzels. You'll see in the video that the dough likes to break apart as you're rolling it into a thin length of rope to shape into a pretzel.
All you need to do is smush it back together and continue. Your finished rope doesn't need to be perfectly smooth as the dough will rise as it bakes.
Just do your best, the finished results will be delicious either way!
Ingredients for Keto Pretzels
- Shredded whole milk mozzarella
- Cream cheese
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Baking powder
Tutorial Video: Keto Pretzels
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- In a large microwave safe bowl, microwave mozzarella and cream cheese on power level 5 for 2-3 minutes until melted. Stir to combine.
- Separate your dough into 6 equal sized portions. You can eyeball this or weigh out the portions.
- Using your hands and a clean surface, roll out the pretzel dough into a long, skinny rope. The dough may break at times, simply mold it back together. Shape each rope into a pretzel on your baking sheet. Squeezing any breakage back together with your fingertips. Repeat to make all 6 pretzels.
- Baste on the reserved egg white mixture and then sprinkle with pretzel salt.
- Place pretzels into preheated oven and bake 10-12 minutes until browned on top and bottom.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Melt butter and baste on finished pretzels. Sprinkle with additional pretzel salt or other toppings as desired.
I hope you've enjoyed this keto pretzel recipe and the shortness of this post. There's nothing more annoying than 20 pages worth of text before you get to the recipe that you're looking for.
However, the internet doesn't rank recipes well unless the blog posts are longer. What I'm trying here is to move the text to the bottom of the recipe card so you can get what you need faster.
There's a few finishing touches that really make these keto pretzels stand out and look beautiful.
Now, you can use regular salt… but it just isn't going to taste like a real pretzel. I bought pretzel salt about 5 years ago and am still using it today.
I mean, have you ever made real pretzels? They are a TON of work. We did it one time. They were amazing. But, too much work. Fortunately, this keto version is easier and just as delicious.
Basting the egg white on top of the pretzels serves two purposes. First, it gives the salt something to stick to. Second, it creates a glossier finish when you bake 'em up.
Finish With Butter
We love to eat these fresh out of the oven. Let them set about 5 minutes and then brush them with melted butter and let your tastebuds sing!
You can also make all kind of dips to dunk the pretzels in. Though, we don't think they need it.