Is there anything better than cheesy, full flavored pizza that keeps you on your keto diet? We think not. These keto portabella pizzas do the trick and take only 25 minutes from start to finish!
Here's how this idea came around. You see, I love, love, love marinated and grilled portabella mushrooms. My husband - not so much. But, he would eat just a little bit because he knows mushrooms are so good for him.
So, I thought... what if I use portabella mushroom as a pizza CRUST?
Because of the melty cheese, I knew grilling wasn't the best option. I mean, who wants to clean their grill afterwards? Not this girl!
I also knew that I needed to be careful about cooking the portabellas too long. Past experience had taught me that overcooking them caused them to release a lot of juices.
The end result was incredibly satisfying and a big hit with both of us and the family we had to stay here at the time. Keep reading for the full keto recipe as well as some tips on making these portabella pizzas even lower carb.
Easy Keto Pizza
The best part about this keto recipe is how easy it is. All you need is some no-sugar-added pizza sauce, cheese and your favorite low-carb toppings.
Get the recipe for my low-carb pizza sauce here. It's quick and easy to make and freezes very well.
If you're following a strict keto diet and keeping carbs very low, use one of these options instead of pizza sauce:
- Olive oil, salt and pizza seasonings
- Ranch dressing (no sugar added)
- Cream cheese or goat cheese mixed with pizza seasoning
- Spinach artichoke dip
Any of these pizza sauce substitutes work great and are delicious. It's also a great way to mix things up and bring in some variety!
Ingredients for Keto Portabello Pizzas
Here's the ingredients you'll need to whip up these keto pizzas...
- Portabello mushrooms (large)
- Olive oil or MCT oil or Avocado oil
- Basil or Italian Herbs (optional)
- Pizza sauce (see options above)
- Whole milk mozzarella cheese
- Pizza toppings of your choice
Tutorial Video: Keto Portabello Pizzas
Check out my YouTube channel “Tara's Keto Kitchen”!
I share new videos and recipes every week. Subscribe so you're notified by YouTube when the recipes post.
And now for the printable recipe for keto portabello pizzas. I just can't wait for you to try these and fall in love with them...
Keto Portabello Pizzas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 degrees if using convention)
- Wash your portabella mushrooms and gently remove the stem from each mushroom. Discard the stems.
- Now it's time to assemble the low carb pizzas!
- Top with cheese, herbs and toppings of your choice.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. If cheese has not yet melted to your satisfaction, broil the mushrooms on your lowest broil setting for an additional minute or two.Note that cooking times vary based on the size of the mushroom. The trick is to avoid over cooking them as they will start releasing a lot of liquid. So, if there's a lot of liquid on your plate or baking dish, cut the cooking time next time.
Making Lower Carb Pizza
Now, I have not included a pizza sauce in the final nutrition counts. This is because everyone will use a different sauce option... same with toppings other than cheese.
You can do so much with these pizzas to keep them as low carb as possible. The lowest carb option will be mixing some high quality extra virgin olive oil with a tablespoon of pizza seasoning. Then drizzle this over the portabella's in place of pizza sauce. Yummm....
Tip: When selecting a pizza seasoning, read the ingredients list and make sure there isn't sugar hiding in there. When we went keto, we found all kinds of sugar hiding in our seasoning mixes. We gave a lot of stuff away and trashed the older stuff. It's amazing where you'll find sugar hiding!
Next Up: Low Carb Pizza Sauce Recipe
I do have a delicious recipe for a homemade low carb pizza sauce. This is great for those of us who can tolerate a little higher carb count.
Other Keto Recipes
Here's a few other low carb recipes we think you'll enjoy. Have a recipe request for us? Comment below and let us know.