Creamy Keto Lasagna with Zucchini
This keto lasagna with zucchini is creamy, delicious and the perfect comfort food. Kids love this veggie-packed lasagna as well.
And, just like making regular from-scratch lasagna, this recipe takes a bit of time and technique to assemble. However, the results are well worth the added effort.
Years later, this keto recipe is still high on my husband's "favorite keto meals" list and I'm sure you'll agree once you taste it.
Before you get started, take a look at my tutorial video to learn how to complete this dish with success. I've used one of my fancy dishes which in hindsight was a little too large. A 9x13 pan works flawlessly for this keto dinner recipe. I've got my eye on this one!
Even better, this keto lasagna freezes beautifully. You can freeze in individual serving size containers and warm it up at lunchtime. If you're planning on doing this, I would recommend doubling or tripling the batch and stocking your freezer.
Mix it up! To give your keto lasagna a little variety, change up the meat. Use ground turkey, shredded chicken, ground venison or make it vegetarian and use cooked mushrooms instead of meat! Comment below and tell us your favorite combinations!
Tips for Making Zucchini Keto Lasagna
The key to making lasagna with zucchini is slicing them to a uniform thickness and pre-cooking them. A Mandoline comes in handy to keep your zucchini noodles a uniform size.
You know, I've made a number of zucchini casserole recipes that use raw zucchini. The problem is, I always end up with a very watery mess. To avoid that problem in this recipe, I have pre-cooked the noodles to allow much of the water to release. The result is a nice hearty lasagna.
Watch the video below for a demonstration.
If you like a thicker noodle, slice your noodles a little thicker than I did. I cut them a thin in the video. A thicker zucchini noodle will give it a more robust texture whereas a thinly sliced zucchini will provide a more delicate noodle.
Add-In Options for Keto Lasagna
You can add in all kinds of different vegetables here if you are a vegetable lover like me!
Here's a few ideas:
- Diced onions, sauteed
- Sliced mushrooms, sauteed
- Diced red peppers, sauteed
You can also mix up your meat of choice. This recipe tastes great if you substitute turkey for beef. You could use a shredded instead of ground beef and even sneak a little ground-up liver in there... This Keto Lasagna is also great with shredded chicken.
Ingredients for Creamy Keto Lasagna with Zucchini
Here's a few ingredients and kitchen items you'll need to make this Keto Lasagna Recipe
- Mandolin Slicer (similar to the one
- Coconut Aminos
- Garlic Powder
- Avocado Oil
- Italian Seasoning
- Cayenne Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
- A 9x13 pan
Tutorial Video: Keto Lasagna with Zucchini
Check out my YouTube channel “Tara's Keto Kitchen”!
I share new videos and recipes every week. Subscribe so you're notified by YouTube when the recipes post.
NEXT, sign up for my weekly email newsletter. I'll send you a weekly digest of what's new and good on the website. Occasionally you'll get emails from me regarding giveaways and special announcements.
[cp_modal display="inline" id="cp_id_a2e65"][/cp_modal]
Keto Lasagna with Zucchini
For the Noodles:
Ground Beef Mixture:
For The Ricotta Mixture:
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Basil
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder we love roasted garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- dash Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes optional
- 1 cup Whole Milk Ricotta or Cottage Cheese
- 1 cup Cream Fraiche or whole milk mascarpone or cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese grated
- 2 cups Mozzarella, shredded
- 1 cup Sharp White Cheddar, shredded
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise into 1/8 - 1/4 inch slices. You can use a sharp knife or a mandolin for this step.
- Salt both sides of the zucchini and set it on a wire cooling rack over a towel. The salt will pull moisture out of the zucchini and this set-up allows the water to drip down onto a towel leaving less mess. Set this aside while you continue through the recipe. This can sit anywhere from 20-60 minutes.
- Returning to the zucchini-- rise the salt off and place the slices between two towels. Push down to squeeze out the excess moisture. Now, coat each slice with a thin layer of avocado oil and place on a baking pan. Put the zucchini in the oven for 5-10 minutes while you continue prep work. (5 minutes for 1/8 inch slices and 10 minutes for 1/4 inch slices) Once the zucchini is finished, set aside to cool.
- Now we will make the ricotta layer. In a medium sized (6-8 cup) bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta, cream fraiche (or cream cheese or mascarpone), Parmigiano-Reggiano and seasonings. Mix to combine. Set Aside.
- Shred the cheeses and mix together. Set Aside.
- Grease the bottom of the pan
Start with a layer of zucchini on the bottom.Ricotta mixtureMeat mixtureCheese Mixture (3/4 cup)ZucchiniRicottaMeatCheese (3/4 cup)ZucchiniRicottaMeatRemaining cheese
- Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. Remove the cover and bake an additional 20 minutes.
- Let sit for 10-15 minutes prior to serving so that when you cut into the low-carb lasagna, the fillings don't all slide out due to it being so hot! Plus, this way you won't burn your mouth.
- Enjoy with a side salad or vegetable of your choice.