This keto coconut frosting boasts zero net carbs per serving (1 total carb)! It whips up creamy and delicious. You just may doubt that it's sugar-free when you make it with our favorite superfood sugar alternative Bocha Sweet. (More on this later in the post…)
Now, coconut desserts are a favorite in our household.
In fact, this specific keto recipe was created at the request of my youngest for her 13th birthday! She asked for chocolate cupcakes with a creamy coconut frosting. So, I decided to see if I could create something so good, she wouldn't know it was a sugar free frosting!
I must say, with this Keto Coconut Frosting Recipe, I really outdid myself. (Her words). When she bit into the cupcake, she closed her eyes and nodded her head vigorously. She said “perfect”. If a picky 13 year old approves, it's worth it, right?
These recipes, are, of course, meant for special occasions and not everyday indulgences. This is a way to stick to your low carb / keto diet for birthdays and holidays where it may otherwise be tough.
After all, food is a part of life. We celebrate with cake on our birthday. Why shouldn't you be able to remain sugar-free, low carb and grain free? Have your cupcake and eat it too! You truly won't believe these are keto!
Substitutions For Keto Coconut Frosting
What's The Best Natural Sugar Alternative?
In this low carb frosting, I've used a sweetener that is made from Japanese pumpkins. It's called Bocha
Why Bocha Sweet?
Our sugar substitute of choice is Bocha Sweet and there's good reason for this!
Bocha Sweet is extracted from the Kabocha pumpkin which has been a staple in the Japanese diet for centuries. Consuming Bocha Sweet on a daily basis helps to support longevity and supports healthy blood sugar levels.
Even better? It tastes almost exactly like real sugar. There's no thin flavor or metallic aftertaste. I think most of us are looking for something that tastes amazing because only a full, satisfying taste is going to work over the long-term.
So, if we are going to go to all the work to make these keto parfaits so we can please our tastebuds AND stick to our keto diet. Well, we want the result to taste GOOD not… just ‘meh' and unsatisfying. For this reason plus the health benefits, we reach for Bocha Sweet every time.
Ingredients for Keto Coconut Frosting
Here's a few ingredients you'll need to whip up your keto frosting:
- Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- Culinary Coconut Milk by So Delicious or Coconut Cream (You don't want coconut milk…but coconut cream)
- Bocha Sweet
- Liquid Stevia Drops
- Parchment Paper Cupcake Liners
- Frosting Piping Bag (Wilton)
- Frosting Piping Tips
- Pure Madagascar Vanilla by Nielsen-Massey
- Pure Coconut Extract by OliveNation or Watkins
Watch for hidden sugars in flavoring extracts. I've selected a few here for you that have no added sugars at the time of this post. However, companies change ingredients from time to time so be sure and look at the ingredient list, especially if you follow a strict no-sugar keto diet.
Video Tutorial: Low Carb Coconut Frosting
Check out my YouTube channel “Tara's Keto Kitchen”!
I share new videos and recipes every week. Subscribe so you're notified by YouTube when the recipes post.
Keto Coconut Frosting
- For best results, bring your ingredients to room temperature by sitting them out on the counter for a few hours prior to making.
- In your mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients except for the toasted coconut.
- Mix until combined on low speed. Then, gradually increase the speed to high and beat for 3 or 4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Frost your cupcakes or cake and then sprinkle on the toasted coconut.
- Store your finished dessert in the refrigerator. Prior to serving, remove your dessert from the fridge a few hours ahead. This frosting is at it's creamiest at room temperature.