Keto Vanilla Cupcakes are so good they are a celebration in themselves! Living a Keto lifestyle is sustainable even on your birthday with keto cupcakes. You'll find more flavors at the end of this blog post.
I have paired them with a tangy lemon-lime frosting. These also taste great with my strawberry keto frosting, coconut keto frosting or vanilla peppermint keto frosting!
For sweetness, I've just used Stevia in this recipe. Stevia is my all time favorite “go-to” for a natural sweetener. My other favorite sugar substitute is a little known natural sweetener called Bocha Sweet. You'll find that I often use a combination of these in recipes as I find it gives the best flavor.
What about Xylitol or Swerve? These cause some people GI distress which can be very uncomfortable. Therefore, you won't find these in many of my recipes.
Tips for Keto Vanilla Cupcakes
I found that these keto vanilla cupcakes really like to stick to cupcake liners or your pan. So, I recommend using parchment paper liners. They'll make your life a little easier. The best liners that I've found to use with keto cupcakes are the cupcake liners by “If You Care”.
They release well and I feel good about using an unbleached product on my food. I'll link the brand I like below.
Substitutions in Keto Cupcakes
A Special Note on Coconut Flour & Almond Flour
In this recipe (and in any keto baking recipe), you cannot substitute flours successfully without changing other aspects of the recipe. Coconut flour is highly absorbent and requires extra eggs. Almond flour is not absorbent and browns (and can burn) easily.
I highly recommend you follow the recipe exactly.
However, you can get away with switching out sweeteners in this recipe. It works well with a cup of Bocha Sweet instead of using the Stevia.
Why Bocha Sweet?
Our sugar substitute of choice is Bocha Sweet and there's good reason for this!
Bocha Sweet is extracted from the Kabocha pumpkin which has been a staple in the Japanese diet for centuries. Consuming Bocha Sweet on a daily basis helps to support longevity and supports healthy blood sugar levels.
Even better? It tastes almost exactly like real sugar. There's no thin flavor or metallic aftertaste. I think most of us are looking for something that tastes amazing because only a full, satisfying taste is going to work over the long-term.
So, if we are going to go to all the work to make a recipe to help us stick to our keto diet. We want the result to taste GOOD not just ‘meh'. For this reason plus the health benefits, we reach for Bocha Sweet every time.
Ingredients for Keto Vanilla Cupcakes
Here's a few ingredients you'll need to make these keto vanilla cupcakes:
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Pure Almond Extract
- Stevia Drops
- Almond Flour, Superfine
- Coconut Flour
- Baking soda
- Baking Powder without cornstarch if possible, otherwise use what you have.
- Xanthan Gum
Tutorial Video: Low Carb Vanilla Cupcakes (Keto & Grain Free)
Check out my YouTube channel “Tara's Keto Kitchen”!
I share new videos and recipes every week. Subscribe so you're notified by YouTube when the recipes post.
Keto Vanilla Cupcakes with Lemon Lime Frosting
Pair these with my Cream Cheese frosting or one of my flavored cream cheese frostings. You can also whip up a batch of real whipped cream to top these. A berry on top makes a beautiful garnish.
Keto Vanilla Cupcakes
- 6 Eggs Separated
- 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1/2 Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Tsp Pure Almond Extract
- 20 Vanilla Stevia Drops
- 1/2 Cup Bocha Sweet
- 30 g Coconut Flour (1/4 cup) Superfine
- 112 g Almond Flour (1 Cup)
- 1/4 Tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp xanthan gum
- Pinch Salt
- 2 Tbsp Acacia Fiber Powder
Keto Vanilla Lemon Lime Frosting
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese
- 4 Tbsp Butter Softened
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Bocha Sweet
- 1 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Tsp Pure Almond Extract
- 30 Drops Vanilla Stevia Drops
- 7 Drops Young Living Lemon Vitality Essential Oil optional -or- (1/2 tsp Lemon Extract)
- 7 Drops Young Living Lime Vitality Essential Oil optional -or-(1/2 tsp Lime Extract)
- Pinch Salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Prepare cupcake pan by using muffin liners or greasing.
- Separate egg whites and yolks carefuly.
- Whip cream of tartar and egg whites.
- Combine egg yolks, Heavy Whipping Cream, Water, Olive Oil, Vanilla Extract, Almond Extract, Stevia & Bocha Sweet.
- Mix the dry ingredients to the egg yolks mixture.
- Fold the egg white mixture to the egg yolks mixture.
- Scoop to a cupcake pan.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Warm all ingredients to slightly warmer than room temperature. Then, whip all the ingredients together until light and fluffy. Frost cupcakes once they are completely cooled.For plain keto vanilla frosting, simply omit the lemon and lime flavorings.