MCT Oil or MCTs are Medium Chain Triglycerides. They are popular for those on a keto diet because they are rapidly converted to ketone bodies. Unlike long-chain fatty acids, MCTs are absorbed directly through the portal vein and then rapidly converted to energy. Some say they notice a rush of energy when they first start using it.
MCT Oil Facts
- MCT oil has been shown to increase the release of two hormones that can promote the feeling of fullness in the body: peptide YY and leptin (Link).
- MCT oil has approximately 10% fewer calories than long-chain fatty acids (Link).
- MCT oil may help optimize the growth of good bacteria and support the gut lining, which could also help you lose weight (Link).
- MCTs are more rapidly absorbed than long-chain triglycerides. Due to their shorter chain length, MCTs do not require bile to break down like longer-chain fats do. (Link)
- MCTs can enter your cells without being broken down. This is how they are used by the body for an immediate energy source! (Link)
- Ketones can pass through the blood-brain barrier, which makes them a fast source of fuel for your brain.
The Best MCT Oil Brands
Like with many oils, you get what you pay for. Here are our recommended liquid MCT Oil brands - brands we trust for quality & purity.
The Bulletproof brand is our top pick when it comes to liquid MCT oils. We've tried dozens of brands and always come back to this one. They have two different MCT Oils. Their basic MCT Oil is a blend of C8 and C10 oils of the highest quality. For those looking for optimal performance and brain benefits, choose Brain Octane Oil, which contains only C8.
C10 and C8 are both rapidly converted to ketone bodies as they are absorbed through the portal vein. However, as you may have assumed, C8 oil is a little more rapidly converted than C10. Some people notice a bitter taste with pure C8 oil and instead choose C10.
MCT oil is a powerful strategy to boost your energy on or off a keto diet.
You can substitute MCT Oil for any liquid vegetable oil. Use it for salad dressings or sauteing your favorite foods such as salmon, Brussels sprouts, or a hearty steak.
Powdered MCT Oils are a popular replacement for coffee creamers. There are many flavors and brands on the market. But, beware of companies using cheap ingredients that could spike your blood sugar and undermine your results.
When searching for powdered MCT oils, be careful of what the oil has been plated to. Read the ingredients list and make sure they are using acacia fiber or acacia gum. If the ingredient isn't specified, don't purchase it. We recommend the following MCT Oil Powder.
MCT Oil Softgels
We use Perfect Keto's MCT oil softgels whenever we're out and about and get an energy slump. They come in handy when traveling, while at work, or when running errands or visiting family. If our energy slumps or hunger strikes, we'll take 3-6 softgels and get the energy boost we need to keep going.