BBQ season just isn't complete without a keto potato salad recipe.
As summer warmed up…I found myself thinking about potato salad. A long time favorite, I was missing it being on the keto diet for over a year now.
On my morning walk, I found myself thinking about cauliflower. Could I use cauliflower as a replacement for potatoes in my old potato salad recipe?
In my opinion, the perfect potato salad is creamy…. as you take the first bite the flavors of mustard and dill pickles dance on your tongue. As you chew, the softness of the potato is balanced by the satisfying crunch of celery and dill pickles.
As I took my first bite (feeling a bit skeptical), I was overjoyed with the textures and flavors of the salad… But, even better… the cauliflower I used instead of potatoes worked perfectly.
Adjusting Keto Potato Salad To Your Preferences
The great news is that if you already have a potato salad dressing recipe you love, you could use it here and simply replace potatoes with cauliflower following my strategy!
Honestly, I was pretty skeptical about using cauliflower in place of potatoes in this recipe. Worried that cauliflower would lend an odd taste and not give a satisfied result…I sat down and did some good old Google research to see if anyone else had attempted this feat.
I found a few recipes that called for raw cauliflower and I was pretty sure I wasn't going to love that. Too much crunch– potatoes in potato salad are soft and absorb the dressing… I wanted the same experience in my mock keto potato salad.
In the end, I steamed the cauliflower until fork tender and then spread it on a cookie sheet to cool a bit as I worked on the rest of the keto recipe.
I diced the rest of the veggies and mixed up my traditional potato salad dressing recipe; making sure to substitute a keto-friendly mayonnaise.
Finally, I mixed the still-warm cauliflower and fresh chopped veggies all together and allowed the mock keto potato salad to chill overnight.
As I mentioned, this mock keto potato salad recipe is flexible to your individual tastes.
Don't like celery or eggs in your recipe? Simply omit them. Easy…
Now for a few fun additions you can play around with in this mock keto potato salad. My favorites were the addition of some crispy, crumbled bacon to the salad.
Another idea is to dice up some fresh green onions and sprinkle on top for an extra crunch.
What other ideas do you have for additions? Comment below and let me know.
Ingredients for Mock Keto Potato Salad
Here's a few things to peek at….
Tutorial Video: Mock Keto Potato Salad
Check out my YouTube channel “Tara's Keto Kitchen”!
I share new videos and recipes every week. Subscribe so you're notified by YouTube when the recipes post.
Mock Keto Potato Salad
To make the Mock Keto Potato Salad
- Rise the cauliflower and then cut it into small pieces. The cauliflower serves as a substitute for potatoes in this recipe. Cut them to the size you want the chunks to be in your keto potato salad.
- Stovetop Method: Put about two inches of water in the bottom of the pan you’ll set your steamer basket on. Turn on heat to medium-high to bring water to a boil. Place the cauliflower pieces into a steamer basket. Steam for 4-7 minutes or until the cauliflower is fork tender. Be careful not to overcook.
- Microwave Method: Place cauliflower in a glass bowl or steamer basket for the microwave. Cook on high for 3 minutes and check with a fork. Continue cooking in 1 minute increments until cauliflower is fork tender. Be careful not to over cook.
- Once cauliflower is done cooking, immediately spread in one layer on a large cookie sheet to cool. Place the cookie sheet in your fridge or a cool spot for faster cooling.
- Add the cooled cauliflower to the mixture and stir.
- Add crumbled bacon, chopped hard boiled eggs, diced celery, chopped dill pickles and diced onion and stir until combined and all the ingredients are coated with sauce.
- Chill for 1-2 hours before serving
More Keto Recipes
Love salads? Me too! Here's a few of my favorite keto salad recipes for you to check out…