The Keto Krate is here and we’re excited to be sharing our first Keto Krate unboxing experience with you all.
So Keto Krate comes in an orange box, not in an actual crate. Each month, you’ll receive this box filled with all sorts of keto-approved goodies. It comes with a little flyer that has information on each of the products and you also get different recipes.
What Our Keto Krate Includes
- This Keto Krate came with a 20% off coupon for chicken chips. So we have some chicken chips in here, made from chicken and “seasoned to perfection”, (what it says on the box). So it's chicken skins, salt, and soybean oil.
- There are some spicy pumpkin seeds in here... I do love pumpkin seeds as it’s one of my favorite snacks so this has the potential to be very good. And it’s a great source of healthy fiber.
- Moving on we’ve got a Jimmy protein bar. We've got one of these before. Jeremy loves bars. Anybody else out there loves nutrition bars?
- We got two smart cakes, one of the bigger things that I’ve seen come in one of these boxes. One of them is raspberry. The ingredients in these have eggs, purified water, proprietary fiber blend, which is oat fiber. There is corn fiber, and flax, erythritol, whet protein, olive oil, raspberry extract, vanilla, salt, cellulose, monk fruit, herbs, and spices. It's an egg base. That's the first ingredient. So there are some fibers, interesting fibers in there... We'll check that out, let you know about that one interacting with your state of ketosis.
- A beef stick.
- We got a new Naturals stevia-based caramel flavor syrup. That must be the maple I’ve been smelling since opening the box… a great sent for sure!
Watch Out For Vegetable Glycerin
Vegetable glycerin. So let's pause for a moment, talking about sugar substitutes. I actually have this same brand of maple syrup, and I haven't use much of it because of the vegetable glycerin. Jeremy and I are gonna be doing some stuff with food testing. It will be with continuous blood glucose monitors. This is one of those things we want to test. If vegetable glycerin based products have a blood glucose response or not. It may be a low one, but for someone who's type two diabetic or type one diabetic, it could be enough to impact their sugars. So the vegetable glycerin makes us a little hesitant at this point. If it's in a small quantity...it may not have a response. But the problem with some of these syrups is that it's the first ingredient, which means there's a lot. So that's something to look out for and potentially avoid.
Look At Ingredients When You’re In A Plateau
Any time you hit a plateau where you're not getting the results you want, looking at your ingredients. See what ingredients could be the culprit can be mind-blowing. Take a look at the nutrition label. It says total fat 0 grams, protein 0 grams, total carbohydrates 9 grams, total sugar alcohols 9 grams but it has a calorie listing of 39 calories. So not from fat, not from protein. It's gotta be coming from the vegetable glycerin. This is something we'll follow up with you guys on.
Jeremy’s Taste Test
Jeremy's so excited about everything in this box. All right, he's gonna eat these chicken skins! Looking at the ingredients, there’s a lot of protein in this. So they are chicken skin, salt, and soybean oil. They're by a company called Flock. One bag has 180 calories, 14 grams of fat, 105 mg of sodium, no carbs, 13 grams of protein.
Jeremy says it tastes like chicken skins that are crunchy, that came from KFC. That's his honest review. That it tastes like it came from KFC.
It's actually good. I’m not a big pork rind fan but I could eat these. There are actual pork rinds in this box too. The one thing I’d like to see them change out in the ingredient list is the soybean oil for a healthier oil.
Okay, so obviously Jeremy likes these... he's still eating them.
More Keto Krate Goodies
- All right, we've got some cheese. A new brand of cheese crisps we never tried that’s pizza-flavored.
- Macadamia nut fat bombs. I'm sure a lot of people have had this. We've had these many times. These are great if you travel a lot or if you have kids in sports and you want something to throw in your purse. This is what I end up taking with me, these kinds of things like these fat bombs.
- So we got a maple pecan keto bar from HEKA Good Foods. HEKA Good Foods is one of the companies certified through the ketogenic.com program. You can be pretty much guaranteed they have done actual blood glucose testing on this product to get that certification. So this is pretty safe and maple pecan is very good.
- And the last thing in the box was pork belly bites. These are not pork rinds. And they’re seasoned, also known as “burnt ends”. Burnt ends are my favorite kind of barbecue meat.
Watch out for hidden sugars
Reading the ingredients list, the bacon has a little bit of sugar in it. Always start with the ingredients list and look for anything that raises a bit of a red flag. So I see sugar on this one three times... sugar is in the bacon. When you see “sugar”, and “brown sugar”, I would proceed with caution. If you're starting keto, are diabetic, or anything like that definitely be cautious.
This container has three servings. That's the other thing to know. You could grab this and eat the whole package because it's a normal-sized package. But if you do that, you're getting 6 grams of carbs, 3 of those grams are sugar… which could be a little deceiving. This is true of any jerky's or meats, cheeses, nuts, etc. Be cautious about the serving size and sugar content. You could have some, but be careful not to overdo it.
Great Keto Snack Variety
There's a lot of great products in this box. What I want to mention is that Keto Krate did a great job this month of getting a nice variety of some very good snacks to me. And I like that it’s not all one group of foods… like desserts. We got cheeses, chips, fat bombs, bars, etc.
Although there were a couple of items that have ingredients we would be cautious of. Overall we’re very happy with the products here. We are pleasantly surprised by the contents of our October Keto Krate.
Other Keto Box Companies
We did look at a couple of different companies that also do keto boxes. One of them being Keto Box. One problem we had is that they sometimes allowed gluten and maltitol in their boxes. Both gluten and maltitol are some of the ingredients we talk a lot about on this channel that we recommend avoiding.
IMO, maltitol, sorbitol, isomalt, things that can spike your blood glucose even though they're sugar-free. Some ingredients like tapioca starch can be an IMO or other fiber label that's hiding.
We like to be cautious. A few years ago we had a member upset about Keto Box. We sat down and went through all the products and ingredients with her. We also did not like what we saw.
Then Keto Krate Reached Out
And then Keto Krate reached out to us. We decided to give this company a try. We actually discovered a few new products that aren't available to us around here. So we got to test out a few new products. I do think it's a great way for people to get some new keto snacks to try, especially as we go into the holiday season. Halloween approaches Thanksgiving, Christmas...
It's nice to have a few treats, snacks, and a few different things prepared for when that when a craving strikes. When you're feeling a little left out of the social things going on around you reach out for those snacks.
How To Know If It’ll Have A Blood-Sugar Impact
The most suspect thing that we found so far has been this syrup. We'll test it out and report back to you if vegetable glycerin is a problem for us. That's the thing with any new ingredients, you see an ingredient, how do you know if that's going to impact you? Well, if you're diabetic, you're testing blood sugar, so you've got to do the testing.
You've Got To Test
You've got to do the 30 minutes, an hour, two hours, three hours testing, and understand your blood sugars. Create yourself a little chart and notebooks. Get the graphing paper, there are so many different ways, and you can kind of make a game out of it. But see how different ingredients impact you.
It may have no impact versus when we test. We will take a teaspoon of it straight to see what happens. What about in your coffee? What about a syrup in your coffee? There's a lot of different applications for something like syrup. You could mix it in with coffee which is a great way to test it.
We hope you enjoy this Keto Krate review. We do have a coupon code for you if you want to buy one, get $10 off your first box with a coupon code TARAKETO.
As a reminder, you can find all our coupon codes for the products we love and use on our website at wholebodyliving.com. Go to the coupon and discount drop-down, under “More” and “Keto Resources” or CLICK HERE. We posted it there so you can always go back and find that coupon or that product we were talking about. We keep that updated and organized.
As we continue to try these products we'll be updating that list so stay tuned! We'll be working on that this fall.
Please Leave A Comment