This recipe for Keto InstaPot Pot Roast was inspired by an old family recipe. Historically, my mom would make this recipe in the slow cooker. At the end, she would add a few different kinds of beef bullion to boost the flavor of the watery sauce.
I wanted to create a faster version of our family recipe that used the Instant Pot and bone broth to create a rich, decadent sauce without having to use beef bullion (which often contains some additives/carbs we want to avoid on the ketogenic diet)
The entire recipe, from start to finish, is done and ready to eat in 90 minutes. The original recipe took 5-7 hours from start to finish.
Plus, this keto pot roast yields a rich, flavorful sauce thanks to the magic of using a pressure cooker.
2 Meals In One
The best part of this recipe is how easy it is to create two meals in one. All you need to do is save the extra broth and meat leftovers and whip up a second meal by incorporating some cauliflower rice into the broth. You'll find instructions in the printable recipe card below!
Health Benefits Of Pressure Cooking
An Instant Pot is essentially an automatic pressure cooker. I've been using a stovetop pressure cooker for years because it's quick, easy and creates food that's healthier for you.
Pressure cookers cook food quickly because of increased pressure and not because of higher heat. In fact, a pressure cooker is usually cooking at around 250 degrees – which is much lower than most normal cooking temperature. This means more nutrients are preserved during cooking.
Plus, your pressure cooker will tenderize the meat as it turns any tough, chewy fibers into gelatin. I noticed a lot more gelatin in the meat when it was finished when compared to the slow cooker method. And, we all know just how good that gelatin is for our body. So bring it on!
Ingredients for Keto Instapot Pot Roast
Here's a list of the ingredients you'll need to make this keto pot roast.
- Boneless beef arm or chuck roast
- MCT oil
- Mushrooms (fresh or dried)
- Garlic cloves
- Bay leaves
- Beef bone broth
- Liquid aminos or coconut aminos
- Xanthan gum
- Black pepper
Tutorial Video: Keto Instapot Pot Roast
Check out my YouTube channel “Tara's Keto Kitchen”!
I share new videos and recipes every week. Subscribe and click the little bell icon ? so you're notified by YouTube when the recipes post.
Keto Instapot Pot Roast
- In Pressure Cooker, add 2 tbsp MCT oil and preheat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the roast to the pan and allow to sear for about 2 minutes. Then flip and repeat.
- Add beef broth, onion, mushrooms, garlic cloves, bay leaves and liquid aminos to the pot.
- Lock the pressure cooker lid in place and bring to high pressure. Cook for 55 minutes.
- Allow pressure cooker to release steam naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure, allowing the steam to release away from you.
- Transfer your roast to a carving board and tent with aluminum foil. Allow roast to rest for 20 minutes while you make the sauce.
- You can take this and make it into a hearty & satisfying stew that freezes well.
Beef & Rice Stew
- Bring Sauce back to a simmer and add in 1 package of cauliflower rice. Simmer for 5 minutes or until cauliflower rice is cooked through.
- In the meantime, shred the cooked beef, discarding fat.
- Once cauliflower rice is cooked, add the beef to the pot and stir together.
What Keto Recipe Is Next?
This keto pot roast is the first in a series of keto pressure cooker recipes I'm working on. I'm really impressed with how tender and flavorful the meat is compared to using traditional cooking methods.
Do you have a favorite Instant Pot or pressure cooker recipe you'd like me to convert to a keto friendly version? Email it to me at [email protected] and I'd be happy to take a look and offer some suggestions.
Now for a few other keto recipes I think you'll enjoy…