Just in time for cold weather, this keto creamy mushroom soup recipe is ready to cozy up beside a warm fire with you.
I adapted this recipe from Julia Child's Mushroom Soup Recipe. I recently purchased all her cookbooks and when I came across this recipe, I knew I needed to adapt it to a keto version.
It all begins with a savory onion flavored soup base...thickened using a very special ingredient called xanthan gum.
If you don't have xanthan gum in your pantry, I recommend you purchase some. This stuff is magical to thicken soups, gravies, puddings and more! A small package of xanthan gum will last you years and years and is well worth the investment.
Next, we’ll enrich it with heavy whipping cream and seasonings before adding in the mushrooms and pureeing them with an immersion blender. If you don’t have an immersion blender you can use a food processor or regular blender to puree the mushrooms into the soup base.
You can use whatever type of mushroom you have available to make this creamy soup. We love the flavors of a meaty portabella mushroom. Keep in mind, the type of mushroom you use will change the flavor of the soup so choose one you enjoy.
Finally, you can also use more (or less) mushrooms than called for in this recipe with great success. The variations you can make are limitless!
Ingredients for Keto Creamy Mushroom Soup
Here are the ingredients you'll need to make your keto soup:
- Fresh Whole Mushrooms
- Xanthan Gum
- Vegetable Stock or Hot Water
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Dried Basil
- White Pepper
- Fresh/Dried Parsley
Tutorial Video: Keto Creamy Mushroom Soup
Check out my YouTube channel "Tara's Keto Kitchen"!
I share new videos and recipes every week. Subscribe so you're notified by YouTube when the recipes post.
Keto Creamy Mushroom Soup
Making The Soup
- 4-6 cups fresh whole mushrooms (12-16 ounces)
- ½ cup onions finely minced
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 5 ½ cups hot water or vegetable stock
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp white pepper
Finishing The Soup
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2-3 tbsp dried or fresh parsley
- salt to taste
- Ground Black Pepper to taste
Making The Soup
- Melt the butter in the bottom of a 4-6 quart heavy bottomed saucepan or pot.
- In the meantime, heat 5 ½ cups water to boiling using your microwave, stovetop or an electric kettle. Keep hot until needed in a few steps.
- Add ½ cup finely minced onions to the melted butter and cook slowly for 6-8 minutes until onions are tender but not browned.
- While stirring with a wire whisk, sprinkle in 2 tsp xanthan gum, whisking the entire time so it doesn’t clump.
- Gradually whisk in ½ cup hot water, adding the remaining 5 cups of water ½ cup at a time. Then add cream, salt, white pepper and basil. Allow to simmer while you prepare the mushrooms.
- Trim and wash your mushrooms. Then, chop them into roughly 1 inch cubes. Follow one of the methods below to puree your mushrooms into your soup base.Immersion Blender: Perhaps the easiest method, simply add your mushrooms to your pot and use your immersion blender to blend them into your soup. Puree to the desired consistency.Food Processor or Blender: Remove a few cups of the soup base and put it into the base of your machine. Add mushrooms and puree until they are the desired consistency. Add the blended mushroom mixture back into your pot of soup base and stir to combine.
- Simmer the soup, partially covered for 25 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
Finishing The Soup
- Remove from heat and stir in ½ cup heavy whipping cream, 2 Tb butter and 2 Tb dried parsley
- Taste and season to taste with salt and white pepper.
Please Leave A Comment