These keto caramel sticky buns were created because breakfast food is my husband's favorite “food group” and this recipe was a specific request of his!
These turned out so well, I had to shoo him from the kitchen or they would have disappeared before I could snap my photos!
Your New Favorite Breakfast Buns
The keto caramel sauce is made possible by my favorite sugar substitute, Bocha Sweet as well as just a hint of molasses for that brown sugar flavor we associate with caramel!
I recommend that you do not use cupcake liners or any liner in this recipe because it would make inverting the finished rolls difficult.
Grease your muffin tins with coconut oil and they will slide right out and not leave a big clean-up job behind!
These freeze very well and are a great keto breakfast or sweet for an on-the-go moment.
Ingredients for Keto Caramel Sticky Buns
Here's a few ingredients you'll need to make this keto breakfast recipe:
- Bocha Sweet (Seriously, you need this!)
- Almond Flour (Superfine – not almond meal)
- Avocado Oil
- Cream of Tartar
- Baking Soda
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Blackstrap Molasses
- Xanthan Gum
- Muffin Tins
Why Bocha Sweet?
Our sugar substitute of choice is Bocha Sweet and there's good reason for this!
Bocha Sweet is extracted from the Kabocha pumpkin which has been a staple in the Japanese diet for centuries. Consuming Bocha Sweet on a daily basis helps to support longevity and supports healthy blood sugar levels.
Even better? It tastes almost exactly like real sugar. There's no thin flavor or metallic aftertaste. I think most of us are looking for something that tastes amazing because only a full, satisfying taste is going to work over the long-term.
So, if we are going to go to all the work to make these keto parfaits so we can please our tastebuds AND stick to our keto diet. Well, we want the result to taste GOOD not… just ‘meh' and unsatisfying. For this reason plus the health benefits, we reach for Bocha Sweet every time.
Why Xanthan Gum?
Xanthan gum is the ingredient in this keto caramel that holds everything together. Think of it as a binder or a glue if you will… You'll find it in many of my keto recipes. I recommend you purchase some for your keto pantry so you have it on hand when a keto recipe calls for it.
If you omit it, you'll likely notice these tend to fall apart. Still yummy….but not quite the same.
Tutorial Video: Keto Caramel Sticky Buns
Check out my YouTube channel “Tara's Keto Kitchen”!
I share new videos and recipes every week. Subscribe so you're notified by YouTube when the recipes post.
Keto Caramel Sticky Buns (3 Net Carbs)
- Prepare a 12 cup muffin tin (or two 6 cup tins) by greasing each muffin cup. Set aside.
Make the caramel sauce:
- In a medium (3 quart) stainless steel saucepan, melt the butter until it begins to bubble.
- Add Bocha Sweet and molasses and stir until simmering.
- Whisk in cream and xanthan gum until xanthan gum is thoroughly blended. Whisk vigorously.
- Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla extract.
- Ladle in a portion of the mixture into each greased muffin tin–splitting the caramel sauce evenly between the 12 tins.
- Optionally– add walnuts or pecans to the caramel sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 degrees convection)
Make the batter for the cinnamon rolls:
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine eggs, avocado oil, heavy whipping cream and whisk together.
- Add salt, cream of tartar, baking soda, xanthan gum, cinnamon, vanilla and Bocha Sweet and whisk until combined.
- Finally, whisk in the almond flour. Whisk until the batter isn’t lumpy.
- Using a scoop or small measuring cup, scoop the batter into the muffin tins on top of the caramel sauce–divide the batter equally between the 12 tins.
- Place filled muffin tin in preheated oven (350 degrees/325 degrees if convection) for 14 minutes or until muffins are set up in the middle.
- Once done, remove from oven and immediately invert onto a cookie sheet. See the video for a demonstration. The caramel sauce will be on top and you’ll have delicious caramel sticky buns!