I chose walnuts for this crust because I wasn't satisfied with the texture and flavor of the almond cheesecake crusts I had tried. Discussing this with my mom one day, she suggested using walnuts as a base and here we are!
This keto cheesecake crust recipe makes a thick, flavorful crust that adds something special to the finished cheesecake. If you're looking to reduce the overall calorie content of a slice of cheesecake, this crust could be made in a half batch. Now, if you choose to do that, make sure you allow 30-60 minutes for the crust to completely cool so it can handle the cheesecake filling. Filling it too soon results in it flexing on you.
Unrefined vs. Refined Coconut Oil
Should you use refined or unrefined coconut oil in this keto cheesecake crust recipe? Well, it all comes down to your preference.
- Unrefined coconut oil will taste of coconuts.
- Refined coconut oil has been deodorized to remove the flavor of coconut.
Choose based on what you want the finished product to taste like. For example, if you're making a coconut cheesecake filling then by all means choose the unrefined coconut oil.
Flavoring Keto Cheesecake Crust
This keto cheesecake recipe tastes wonderful on it's own without the addition of vanilla extract. However, when I added vanilla to the walnuts– my taste testers loved it. They said it tasted like a sugar cookie and added something special to the finished cheesecake.
My testers sampled a plain vanilla cheesecake with this crust. When I use this crust recipe and flavor the cheesecake with lemon or lime– I omit the vanilla because I find that it overpowers the delicate, tangy flavors of the fruit.
The Quest For The Perfect Keto Cheesecake Crust…
Perfecting this crust was a tasty experience. Though, I admit that I was on a quest for complete perfection in a cheesecake crust. Results that my taste testers said were “Good Enough”…. were NOT good enough for ME!
I'm a BIT of a perfectionist in the kitchen. That said, this recipe makes a pretty thick crust. You could easily halve the recipe if you're looking to keep the calorie count of the finished cheesecake down. See my notes above on this.
Ingredients for Keto Cheesecake Crust
Here's the ingredients you'll need to bake this keto cheesecake crust:
- Bocha Sweet (our favorite keto sweetener!)
- Almond Extract
- Pure Vanilla extract
- Sea Salt
- Food Processor (Cuisinart)
- Spring-form Pan
- Parchment Paper
- Coconut Oil
Tutorial Video: Keto Cheesecake Crust
Check out my YouTube channel “Tara's Keto Kitchen”!
I share new videos and recipes every week. Subscribe so you're notified by YouTube when the recipes post.
Keto Cheesecake Crust (with Walnuts)
Watch the tutorial video on YouTube.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Add remaining ingredients and process for 1 minute until it forms into a batter
- Transfer the batter to your lined springform pan.
- Working from the inside out, press batter into the spring-form pan making sure the batter goes to the edges and is pressed down firmly.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and cool completely before filling. (The middle will look like it’s not quite set up, and this is ok!)